This entire summer I’ve been craving pub food. So when one day out of the blue Ian said he wanted to make a cottage pie I jumped at the chance of watching him make it. It really bugs him when we go to restaurants and on the menu is a shepherd’s pie with ground beef. In case your wondering its quite simple: shepherd’s pie=ground lamb and cottage pie= ground beef. It’s in the name and in case you ever find yourself confused ask yourself, “what does a shepherd herd?”
What you’ll need:
-A good mashing potato
– Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven 400ºF
2. Boil potatoes (Make sure to cut the potatoes into large equal sizes because you don’t want to end up with watery mashed potatoes if they are cut too small)
3. Brown ground beef ( If you want to be healthy drain excess fat but make sure to keep some of the fat)
4. Saute Veggies (Remember that extra fat that you kept, pour this on to veggies, will give extra flavor)
5. Once potatoes are boiled, mash, and then let them cool
6. Pour beef/veg mix into casserole dish.
7. Add mashed potatoes on top.
*We decided to go fancy by pipping the mashed potatoes using a zip lock bag. Spreading the mashed potatoes on to the top will do just fine. Keep in oven for about 30 minutes. Once it has a golden crisp add cheese and broil for 5 minutes.